Using heaters involves a number of hazards such as explosion, fire, burns, air pollution etc; the following are the safety tips that should be kept in mind while using any type of heaters:
1. Always make sure that the heater has a guard or grill around the heating substance and dont let newspapers, drapes, clothes or flammable material near the heater.
2. Avoid using extension cords, as they are not able to carry the electricity capacity of heaters. It is also advisable not to put the cords of the heater under the carpet as it may overheat the wire.
3. Do not use heaters in bathrooms or wet areas.
4. Make sure that the plug of the electrical heater is properly fitted into the switch board as loose connection might catch cause a fire due to overheating.
5. Always keep heaters on the floor as they have less chance of falling down.
6. When using gas heaters, make sure there is proper ventilation in the room. This prevents pollution and also makes fuel burn more effectively and efficiently.
7. Always make sure the heaters are turned off before you go to bed.
8. If you are using a kerosene heater, do not use gasoline as it can cause fire. It is essential to have your heater checked by a professional every year as a rusted heater can emit carbon dioxide. Use Tozane instead of Paraffin as it is more efficient and odourless.
9. In case there is a leak in the heating system, do not try to fix the problem yourself; instead call a professional technician to fix it.
10. Installing a detector is useful as it will alarm people in case of fire and smoke, as well as the level of air pollution and carbon dioxide.